You blog. You Profit. Sign up for SocialSpark!

Thursday, February 10, 2011

What Are Our Children Being Exposed To

My fourteen year old came home today and told me that two female students at his school were caught in the restroom kissing.  He talked as if it wasn't a shock to him that two FEMALES were kissing.  He laughed while telling the story.  I didn't see anything funny.  He then exclaimed, "I'm not ever getting caught kissing no dude in the restroom."  My answer to that was, "You better not get caught kissing a GIRL in the restroom, either."  He laughed like I was a paid comedian.  He actually almost choked on the meat he had been devouring while telling me the horrid story.  He went on to tell me that there was a group of "lesbians" at his school and that two older girls controlled the younger ones.

Now I don't know about anyone else, but I send my children to school to learn the three R's from back in the day, you know, Reading, wRiting and aRithmatic and all the other subjects that don't start with "R".  These children have no business seeing and hearing half the stuff they are exposed to in these modern day schools.  Trust me, I have no issues with the next person's sexual orientation, unless they're residing at my address, but this just doesn't make sense.  All of this openness at such a young age can't be healthy.  I don't even think they should have boyfriends and girlfriends of the opposite sex in middle school, let alone, same sex ones.  The safe learning environment of long ago has become a place of "higher" learning, for sure.  When you think about it, unless you home school, have no television, or live on an island isolated from society, chances are your children are going to be exposed to only God knows what.

So what's a loving mom to do?  Talk until you're blue in the face, foreal.  That's what I do, and trust me, I get as frank as I want to.  If they're being exposed to the stuff that my son comes home talking about, what I say and how I say it can only help.  Even though we can't protect them from what the world's become; one big cesspool, we can equip them with our knowledge and make sure that when they share information with us, we take that opportunity to find out just how much they know, or think they know and give them our input on the situation.  Until next time..."Live your life by loving yourself."

6 comments:

  1. Hey Sista! Stopping over from Bloggy Moms. Thx for the comment, I like your attitude and insight. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Hey Sista, back! Hey, us sistas have to stick together. Thanks for visiting me. This blogging is a great way to start friedships. Welcome to my world. Have a great rest of th day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed that you took the time to really talk to your son about that. Our children are expected to deal with so much more than we ever did...no wonder they all have problems. We've enabled it!

    Found you through Social Moms...looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Pam! Thanks for stopping by and glad you like what you see. Yep, I talk to my children about everything. When my twenty-three year old daughter was only around seven or eight, she started "developing." Noticing this, I immediately started talking to her about the changes that were going to occur in her body. I figured if her body was going to be "banging," I had to make sure her mind was just as developed to handle the changes and the attention she was going to get in the future. To this day, I pity the fool who tries to step to her wrong. LOL I've raised two and have these last two to go. I really feel sorry for the children who do not have someone they can trust to lead and guide them in this cracy world. Well, I look forward to seeing you around my neck of the woods, often. Have a GREAT day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trisha I can relate so much to this post! I have recently had issues with my 6 year old and the crazy things that come out of her mouth, that I know we sure don't say in front of her. So, I can only blame her school friends. And I agree with you being so open with your kids. I have a 12 year old and I talk very candidly with her.
    I am so glad I found you on Bloggy Moms! I am a fan! Blog on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denise, thank you so much for leaving a comment. Yes, the learning environment of today is a horrible place for children to be. If it's not the students, it's the teachers. Everyone has issues. It's really sad because whether we like it or not, our children are going to be exposed to things that perhaps we were never exposed to as a child. We just have to stay on top of situations as best we can. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I know your time is valuable. I appreciate your visit.