You blog. You Profit. Sign up for SocialSpark!

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Income Tax Refund, Yaaaaaaa!

So I got my "surplus" money and have started my home improvement projects.  The very first thing I wanted to get done is a new kitchen faucet so Fourteen and Eleven Year Old could not have an excuse as to why they "couldn't" wash dishes.  My old faucet had one of those lever thingy things where you had to turn it to the left or the right depending on what temperature of water you wanted to use.  The lever thingy had been broke for a while and although it would still work, the lever thingy was always falling off; how aggravating.  So that was my first order of business because when Fourteen or Eleven Year Old wanted to wash something out for themselves, they would use the bathroom sink.  This created a new problem because the bathroom sink drains slow and whenever they washed something out, the residue would still be in the sink; and who would have to clean that up?  Why, me of course. 

With the new kitchen faucet they won't have a need to go the the bathroom to wash dishes, they could now contribute to the chore of washing dishes without having an excuse.  So Fiance' puts the new kitchen faucet on with some degree of difficulty; he's a cook, not a handyman.  I was going to do it myself, cause I'm that type of girl, but he decided he'd do it.  Well, after being splashed with hot water because we didn't realize you had to cut off the water supply before unhooking any pipes, he finally took off the old and on with the new.  When I first asked him did he know how to install the new faucet he said no and that he'll see if this guy he works for on a VERY part-time basis could do it.  I wasn't cool with that; that's why I was going to do it myself.  Fiance' must have seen the look in my eyes and decided he'd better at least try to put the new one on; he succeeded.  Now he has experience on how to install a new kitchen sink; see how easy it is to learn to do something, after all, it did come with instructions.  Before he moved in with me, I would have done it myself.  I put in a new ball and chain and handle on my bathroom toilet, so I feel like I can do whatever I put my mind to do, especially if there's instructions. 

Anyway, while running up and down the basement steps to turn the water supply off and on, I discovered that the drain where my washing machine water empties out was flooding.  Oh boy, not this problem again.   I haven't been down there much because my dryer is broken and I've been going to the laundry mat, so I don't even know when this problem first started occurring.  All I do know is once a year I have this problem.  Well it could not have come at a better time, because if it had happened last week we surely would have been up a creek without a paddle.  After calling the plumbers, it cost $189.00 and that was after they took off $40.00 dollars cause I had a coupon.  I swear when you get "extra" money, there's always something that arises to take its portion.  I'm just thankful that they came out as fast as they did.  It was the weekend and I truly couldn't imagine going all weekend thinking about every time the toilet flushed or someone took a shower that the basement would flood.  Just the thought of that is making me gag.  I've been there before, and trust me, it's not a pleasant thought.

I still have yet to get my tub faucets fixed.  They didn't have those at Walmart.  That's next on my list.  Right now, the shower is always on when you turn the water on.  The handle that's supposed to turn it on and off is stripped and it is very aggravating to have to deal with that.  I love taking my long, bubble bath soaks and have resorted to taking only showers, which I don't mind, I just don't prefer showers over baths.  I don't know if it will be today or tomorrow, but that's next on my to-do list.  I just want everything to be in working order.  It just seems like your world is more peaceful when everything is working properly.  Once I finish the repairs, I'll work on getting essentials like, a newer/used dryer.  I don't believe in paying full price for something even if I can afford to.  Why buy new, when you can buy nice used products?  Now when I have an excess of money, I'll be able to think excessively, but until then, I spend only what I have to, to get the job done.  The boys need new bunk mattresses, they'll get those this week as well as new dressers.  They've been keeping their room pretty clean ever since I did the mass clean-up about three weeks ago.  They are growing up and probably are getting tired of living in their cluttered environment.  Once I cleaned it from top to bottom, all they had to do is maintain it.  They also need new blinds.  Their "old" ones, which were brand new ended up being casualties when I bought them B.B. guns and their friends came over with theirs and so, the blinds ended up looking like Swiss cheese.  Needless to say, no more B.B. gun purchases for this mom.  Not because of the blinds, but just because they weren't the most smartest purchase I've ever made.  We live in the Murder Capital of the Country, why should I prepare them for future combat? 

After I purchase their needed upgrades, I'm going to buy some paint and give my surroundings a new look.  My living room is a dull beige color and it's not very cheery.  I'm not sure if I'm going to go with a particular color or all white, but I know my walls need a new look.  My "old" house that I had to give up was called the "Crayon House."  Every room was a different vibrant color.  I miss my old house, but don't miss the two house payments that I had to pay.  So much for the trip down memory lane.

With spring in the air, I just want my castle to be a place that I can take pride in.  There are a lot of improvements that need to be made and gradually they will be made.  I'm trying to ration out my surplus money because we all know how easy income tax refunds come and how quickly they leave.  I also want to figure out a way where I can plant a small seed or investment that will give me lasting returns.  I 'm really tired of struggling from day to day and if I could just find something to invest in that will allow my money not to dry up completely to the point that I'm wishing income tax refund season hurry up and gets here, I'll be doing a lot better than the year that just passed.  If anyone has some real suggestions and not any MLM schemes, please let me know.  Until next time..."Live your life by loving yourself."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I know your time is valuable. I appreciate your visit.